Volunteer Opportunity as a Member of the BCSEA Board of Directors
Who we are: The BC Sustainable Energy Association is a network of action takers supporting sustainable energy policy, innovation and education in British Columbia.
Vision: A 100% sustainably powered British Columbia.
Mission: The go-to resource for advancing energy literacy in the province of British Columbia.
We promote sustainable energy in BC, including community engagement, public education, and policy advocacy, through public events hosted by our local chapters, our Cool It! Climate Leadership program, online resources, and participation in energy planning and government stakeholder engagement processes.
BCSEA as an organization is run by its volunteer board. As a Board member, you will be part of the team of professionals guiding vision, strategy, fundraising, program and staff oversight and community engagement . Your ideas, dedication and skills will help propel the organization to achieve broader impact and effectiveness. You will see how BCSEA influences decision-makers and provides inspiration to our members, chapters and the general public.
We currently have an opportunity for new Board Members. To be eligible to become a Board member, you must have been a member of BCSEA in good standing for at least 3 months. Board members must make a commitment to serve at least 2 years on the BCSEA Board. Except in the case of medical or personal emergency, a Board member who desires to leave the Board after serving less than 2 years will be asked to find and recommend a replacement, prior to stepping down.
Until we have a full Board, new Board members may be appointed as interim Board members by agreement of the current Board of Directors. An interim board member will remain so until the next Annual General Meeting, normally held in November. At the AGM, an interim board member will stand for election to serve a two-year term and is eligible for re-election.
Skills and Experience
Specific Skills: We welcome a diversity of skills on our Board. Currently we are seeking new Board members with any of these proven skills and experience:
- Human Resources
- Charitable Fundraising
- Program management
- Business and community leadership;
- Community engagement and volunteer coordination
- Website design and development
- Digital Communications
- Experience in renewable energy or energy conservation
- Experience in governance and policy
General Skills: ability to work as part of an operational team, with proven ability to plan and execute; organized and strong communicator; knowledge of BCSEA; connected in community; ability to analyze and take calculated risks; long term commitment to BCSEA.
- Commit to progressing the mission and work of BCSEA
- Perform Board governance and oversight role including setting vision, mission and strategy for BCSEA; ensure compliance with laws and BCSEA Constitution and Bylaws
- Perform Operational Board duties including approving budgets, fundraising and community engagement, communication, improvement projects, recruitment and supervision of staff and local Chapter steering committees, and volunteer coordination;
- Serve as knowledge centre in one of: board governance, finance, advocacy, fundraising, energy policy, sustainable energy technology, energy retrofits, energy education or energy leadership in business or BC politics
- Attend monthly Board meetings and regular committee meetings via teleconferencing
- Promote BCSEA in the community
- Ability to attend regularly scheduled remote meetings at least three times a month
Time & Travel Commitment
The Board member role is a volunteer position, which requires a time commitment of up to 15 hours per month. Tasks include attending and preparing for Board meetings, attending other meetings needing input from the Board, and general help with running the organization. Meetings are held via teleconferencing. Board members may live anywhere in BC and typically meet in person once each year, for a strategic planning session.
Benefits & Recognition
- Know that you are putting your best efforts toward shifting British Columbia to an equitable, prosperous, low-carbon economy and lifestyle
- Contribute your knowledge and leadership expertise to further our mission and goals
- Connect with like-minded professionals who are passionate believers in our vision of a clean, sustainable energy future for BC
- Develop Board governance and leadership skills
- No paid compensation although your travel and other expenses will be reimbursed, if required.
How to Apply/Contact
To be eligible for a position on the Board, applicants must have been a BCSEA member in good standing for at least 3 months. Please submit a resume and brief letter outlining your interest. Applications can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org